Learn more about the work of the BRAINS program, including our theoretical framework and programmatic elements.
The BRAINS Program Overview and Impact:
- Yen, J., Horner-Devine, M.C., Margherio, C., and Mizumori, S.J.Y. (2017).The BRAINS program: Transforming career development to advance diversity and equity in Neuroscience. Neuron, 94(3), 426–430. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuron.2017.03.049 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2017.03.049. Available: http://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(17)30293-3
- Margherio, C., Horner-Devine, M.C., Mizumori, S.J.Y., and Yen, J.W. (2016). Learning the Thrive: Building diverse scientists' access to community and resources through the BRAINS program. CBE Life Sciences Education. Available: https://www.lifescied.org/doi/10.1187/cbe.16-01-0058
The BRAINS Counterspace Foundation:
- Margherio, C., Horner-Devine, M.C., Mizumori, S.J.Y. and Yen, J.W. (2020). Connecting counterspaces and community cultural wealth in a professional development program. Race Ethnicity and Education. DOI: 10.1080/13613324.2020.1798378. See https://doi.org/10.1080/13613324.2020.1798378
- Margherio, C., Swan, A.L., Horner-Devine, M.C., Mizumori, S.J.Y. and Yen, J.W. Counterspaces as a Site of Network Formation within Academia (accepted 10/31/23). Journal of Diversity in Higher Education.
Peer Coaching Circles:
- Horner-Devine, M. C., Carrigan, C., Grant, C., Margherio, C., Mizumori, S. J. Y., Riskin, E., Simmons Ivy, J., & Yen, J. Peer coaching circles for ongoing faculty development. In S. M. Linder, C. Lee, & K. High (Eds.), The Handbook of STEM Faculty Development. Information Age Publishing, January 2023. Available: https://www.infoagepub.com/products/Handbook-of-STEM-Faculty-Development (Chapter Overview PDF & Chapter Overview Accessible Word)
- Horner-Devine M.C., Gonsalves, T., Margherio, C., Mizumori, S.J., and Yen, J.W. Beyond hierarchical one-on-one mentoring. Science. Volume 362, Issue 6414, p 532. November 2, 2018. Available: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aav7656
- Horner-Devine M.C., Margherio C., Mizumori S., and Yen, J. Peer Mentoring Circles: A strategy for thriving in science. BioMed Central Blog 2017. http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcblog/2017/05/18/peer-mentoring-circles-a-strategy-for-thriving-in-science/.